Spring is upon us and the exterior painting project season is already open for our painting crew. One of the main services provided during the hottest days of the year is deck painting/staining and renovation. Decks are amazing way to add value to your property. According to the “Remodeling Calculator” website, compared to an attic, building a deck costs a lot less, but provides one of the top ROI’s of all remodel projects. If you are thinking about selling your house we strong recommend you to pay more attention to the quality and attractiveness of decks. According to “Remodeling Magazine’s” cost vs. value report, “a homeowner can recoup an average of 80% of the cost of building a new wood deck, during resale. […] Compare this with 78% recouped for a bathroom remodel and 69% recouped for a family room addition.”
Even though decks are amazing options to attract buyers, not all decks have the same value. It’s very important to make sure you will trust your deck in only professional hands. Our team has an extensive deck portfolio. That’s the main reason why the CEO of our company, Jorge Aurichio, came up with some tips to help you when you are investing in a deck.
Inspection and Repair:
1) The first step is to make sure you will hire a professional capable of properly inspect your existing deck in order to access rotted woods and repair it. We from Level Five Painting, during the first day of meeting, access the deck and verify if it has any damage that can affect the whole deck – from its structure to the final product. In our wood inspection we identify what type of wood the deck is made of (it can be Mahogany, Oak, Ipe etc). This part is extremely important because different woods have distinct tons and colors. If a professional doesn’t precisely know what type of wood is dealing with it, is not possible to know exactly what product to use on it. It will result in a job that will costs more and take more time to repair the mistakes;
2) One of the most important steps during this process in order to have amazing results is to provide a great quality deck cleaning. A great professional knows exactly the types of cleaning products go with existing decks wood and its finishes. Our company always make sure we only work with eco-friendly products. All our products don’t offer damage to plants, animals, sole, pets and people – specially babies/kids;
3) It’s very important to provide proper power washing. The pressure of the machine should be adapted accordingly to the type of wood. If there’s more pressure than the wood supports you will ended up with damages and flaws in the substrate that didn’t even have in there before this procedure;
4) The prep work includes scrapping, sanding, cleaning and priming (if the deck was previously painted). The prep work should always be done with the correct and great quality materials because one mistake can cause delays and a lot of loss;
5) The correct products are important tools during the entire process, specially after the prep work is done. One common mistake done by non-professionals is using products that are not suitable for exterior areas. Decks should always be painted by using exterior premium products. We know those products cost more but it also protects the deck for longer time if compared to other brands. Lastly, keep in mind – when hiring a contractor – that only truly professionals have vast knowledge and experience with decks. The wrong person can’t do exactly what and with the excellence a professional do. The wrong contractor can cost you more than if you start your project with the correct person taking care of it.
To finish up, here are some of our deck projects done in the last years. Get inspired and have a great Spring!
Mahogany/Cedar deck done in Brookline, MA